The 511 system is a statewide system that allows a caller the choice of using the phone keypad (touchtone option) or voice recognition to navigate the menu. The system is accessible by landline, cell phone and some Voice over IP (VoIP) providers anywhere within the state. The computer infrastructure of the system will currently support 192 calls at the same time. On the busiest days, this capacity is just enough to handle demand. The information that is available on the system in shown below:
- Statewide real-time traffic and road incidents, this includes construction and maintenance activities
- Seattle area flow data (congestion information) and the I-90 and I-5 Express Lane status
- Mountain pass conditions which includes weather, road conditions and restrictions
- A transfer to the 511 systems in Oregon, Idaho and Montana
- Statewide emergency messages and alerts including AMBER Alerts.
- Access to the Ferry Information Line that includes schedules, fares, wait times and Wave to Go fare pass and other information
- Statewide city based weather forecast information
- Telephone numbers for other transportation providers including transit, rail and airlines
Callers who are calling from outside of Washington or are having trouble-reaching 511 can access the system by dialing 1-800-695-7623.